Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Olivia Wilde Talks Working with Martin Scorsese & Breastfeeding in Glamour September 2014

It’s been a year of many blessings and plenty of change as Olivia Wilde has accepted a marriage proposal fromJason Sudeikis, given birth to baby Otis and embarked upon a new career direction.
And in the September 2014 issue of Glamour magazine, the “House” hottie talks about being photographed while breastfeeding her little guy.
Being shot with Otis is so perfect because any portrait of me right now isn’t complete without my identity as a mother being a part of that. Breast-feeding is the most natural thing. I don’t know, now it feels like Otis should always be on my breast. It felt like we were capturing that multifaceted woman we’ve been discussing—that we know we can be.”
“You can be someone who is at once maternal and professional and sexy and self-possessed. [But] I mean, I certainly don’t really look like that when I’m [typically] breast-feeding. And there’s usually a diaper involved.”
Wilde also confesses that while she was happy for the work, her career didn’t feel like a proper fit early on. “I felt that I had been cast in films that, though I was very excited to be a part of, didn’t feel that they were actually the right roles for me. I felt like I was almost a fraud—like I somehow had become a kind of pinup version of myself.”
Nowadays, Olivia feels the freedom to be more selective with her projects, including a gig with Martin Scorsese. “The biggest thing I did to change my career was to act on the confidence that I had built and to say, ‘No, I don’t need to work to stay relevant. I’m just going to work on the things that are interesting.’ I developed the confidence to speak up in meetings with Martin Scorsese, fighting for a character that I believe in.”
When it came time to go back to work, Ms. Wilde wasn’t worried about neglecting her parental duties. “No, because of the example of my mom. My mom is such a badass working mother. That inspired me when I was pregnant. I wasn’t going to sacrifice myself because I was becoming a mother.”
Regarding her first marriage, she wisely surmised, “[I] wouldn’t be this person without that first marriage. I really grew up with my first husband. Now I’m in a much wiser, more centered place in life. I think if we can see people in our lives as chapters, we have a much healthier perspective about the whole thing. It’s like it had to happen the way it happened. Jason and I lived two blocks away from each other for years and never met.”
Speaking of marriage, Olivia wouldn’t give a firm answer on her upcoming nuptials with Sudeikis. “We’re engaged, but no specific plans yet—we just have to find the time to put it together. In many ways, a child is more of a commitment. We are fully committed and really happy as a family. And there’s no definition of the ‘normal family’ anymore. Kids today are growing up with so many different definitions of family. I guess what I’m saying is that I don’t feel any pressure to do it. But I think it will be really fun.”


No comments:

Post a Comment